Minutes 11 February 2021 – Babraham Parish Council

Babraham Parish Council Meeting 11 February 2021: Draft Minutes for review at Meeting on 11 March 2021 Time: Feb 11, 2021 07:30 PM London https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86726560500?pwd=TXZNRFZjZFlxRnlaUnF5c2pqNG5kQT09 Meeting ID: 867 2656 0500 Passcode: 326397 The meeting started at 19:31. Present remotely Chair: … Continue reading

Minutes 14 January 2021 – Babraham Parish Council

Babraham Parish Council Meeting 14 January 2021: Minutes Approved 11 February 2021 PDF copy of the approved Minutes Time: Jan 14, 2021 07:30 PM London https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86002367645?pwd=emsxOW42bitqNUhlMVhyY1VWbVFFUT09 Meeting ID: 860 0236 7645 Passcode: 446309 The meeting started at 19:30. Present remotely … Continue reading

Parish Council Minutes: 12 November 2020

Minutes of the Babraham Parish Counci Meeting held 12 November 2020 For approval 14 January 2021 PDF version of Minutes (to be signed if approved) Topic: Babraham Parish Council Meeting 12 November 2020 https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87025801125?pwd=SHdLeFhaaWtzWWV5Rk9yK25QWTM5dz09 Meeting ID: 870 2580 1125 The … Continue reading

Parish Council Meeting – Thursday 11th June

The Parish Council met on Thursday 11th June, 7:30pm. Due to the ongoing Coronavirus issues the meeting was held remotely using Zoom. The agenda and supporting documents are linked below, and the minutes will follow when available.


Peter McDonald Parish Report June 2020
LHI Application
Letter to All Parisk Clerks from Stephen Kelly 9 06 20


Data Protection Policy
Record Management (archiving) Policy
Lone Working Policy
Freedom of Information Policy
Training Statement of Intent


RTI Full Payment Submission
Current Unity to 31 May 2020
Instant Access Unity to 31 May 2020
Ionos Jun 20
Ionos Jun 20
Ionos Jun 20
Brookfield – May 2020
Precept Remittance

Parish Council Meeting – Thursday 14th May

The Parish Council met on Thursday 14th May, 7:30pm via Zoom. The agenda, minutes and supporting documents are linked below. Agenda Minutes 2005-00 Key Documents 9 May 2020 2005-10 Peter McDonald Parish Report May 2020 2005-17 Babraham Parish Council – … Continue reading

Parish Council Meeting – Thursday 9th April

The Parish Council met on Thursday 9th April, 7:30pm. Due to the ongoing Coronavirus issues this meeting was held remotely (as per recently confirmed legislation) using Zoom. The agenda. minutes and supporting documents are linked below. Agenda Minutes Peter McDonald … Continue reading

Parish Council Extraordinary Meeting – Thursday 19th December

The Parish Council will hold an extraordinary meeting on 19 December 2019 at 19:30 in Babraham School Hall.

View The Agenda

We invite all residents to attend our discussion on a proposed agreement between Sawston and Babraham on our shared boundary and financial contributions to the Parishes that might be delivered by new developments under Section 106, the “mechanism [of the Town and Country Planning Act] which make a development proposal acceptable in planning terms, that would not otherwise be acceptable” (source: Local Government Association).

The meeting has been called by the Chair, Stuart Laurie, to consider a motion proposed by three Councillors:

“We propose that Babraham Parish Council reviews and resolves to take any action on the distribution of S.106 funding deriving from H/1:c development, proposed as an outcome of the joint parish meeting held on 21st November 2019 at Sawston PC offices.”

the essence is to review possible financial arrangements in respect of developments between the two parishes.

Over the past few months, the Parish Council has been discussing the Parish boundary with Sawston Parish Council and Cambridgeshire County Council. The discussions have been prompted by new development locations in our Parish included in the Local Plan: H/1:b, to the north of Sawston Road, currently under development; and H/1:c, to the south of Sawston Road.

With any new development, there is a “mechanism which make a development proposal acceptable in planning terms, that would not otherwise be acceptable” called Section 106 (its location in the Town and Country Planning Act). The financial contributions are used to mitigate the impact of that development on the local community and infrastructure.

In the Planning process for H/1:b, we reached agreement with the Cambridgeshire County Council that Babraham Parish would be receive S.106 funds of £71,000 towards the cost of building the Village Hub and £20,000 towards arts spaces and facilities within the Hub.

As a Council, we have taken the view that incoming residents of both developments might seek practical activities in Sawston. This view might suggest that the boundary might be moved, with a result that the new developments could be ceded to Sawston Parish.

However, we also recognised the counter argument that the precept (the funds disbursed by the District Council for Parish works) payable to Babraham would be greater if the developments remained in Babraham Parish.

Finally, we have in the past argued that the new residents of H/1:b and c might vote themselves on the boundary and Parish and are aware that Sawston residents have a voice to express.

However, we recognise the practical nature of aspects of the postposed change and have sought terms that might meet needs of Babraham’s parishioners,

Following our most recent joint meeting in November, we have developed a Memorandum of Understanding for the distribution of S.106 contributions for H/1:c.

In this Memorandum, our Parish is granted a defined share of S.106 contributions for H/1:c and acknowledges the change to the boundary to place H/1:c dwellings in Sawston Parish.

The Council will discuss and resolve on action to take in respect of this Memorandum.


Annual Parish Meeting – Thursday 9th May – Preview and Agenda

The Annual Parish Meeting will be held this Thursday 9th May, 2019, at 19.30 in Babraham CofE School Hall.

At the meeting, the Parish Council will explain what we have done during the last year, discuss Council finances, and look forward to projects for 2019-20.

Importantly, it enables our electors to have their say on anything they consider important to the people of Babraham Parish. The meeting is open to anyone and we look forward to welcoming you. Only registered electors of Babraham Parish may speak and vote.

We also welcome reports for groups and communities within the Parish. The meeting is an opportunity to learn more about what’s happening around Babraham, as well as to meet other residents.

The agenda is as follows:

  1.   Apologies for Absence
  2.   Report from the Chairman of the Parish Council
  3.   Financial Report
  4.   Report from Cambridgeshire County Councillor Kevin Cuffley
  5.   Report from South Cambridgeshire District Councillor Peter McDonald
  6.   Update on the Neighbourhood Plan
  7.   Report from the Village Hall Committee
  8.   Report from Babraham Primary School
  9.   Report from St Peter’s Church
  10.   Report from the Bush and Bennett Charity
  11.   Report from Babraham Research Campus
  12.   Any Other Business / Open Forum


Annual Parish Meeting – 11th May

The annual parish meeting will be held on the 11th May at 7:30pm at Babraham Primary School. The Parish Council would like to invite all residents, and would be very keen for people to attend to hear what has happened over the past year and to involve everyone in upcoming decisions. One of the main items we will be discussing is the proposed joint neighbourhood plan we are discussing with Sawston and Pampisford Parish councils, in particular with regards to the development of more housing between Babraham and Sawston.

Refreshments (wine, beer, crisps etc) will be provided, and they’ll be a prize draw during the interval!

The full agenda is as follows:

1. Apologies for absence
2. Report from the Chairman of the Parish Council
3. Financial Report
4. Report from Babraham Research Campus
5. Report from Babraham Primary School
6. Report from the Bush and Bennett Charity
7. Report from Babraham Farms
8. Report from the Police
9. Report from County Councillor Peter Topping
Interval: refreshments and prize draw
10. Report from the Village Hall Committee and AGM
11. Report from District Councillor Tony Orgee
12. Any other business / open forum

There will also be a closed meeting of the parish council at 6:30pm, the agenda is below:


Parish Council Meeting – 9th September 2016

The Parish Council met in the School Hall at 7.30pm on Thursday 9th September. The minutes can be downloaded below. The next meeting will be on the 13th October at 7:30pm – you are welcome at all meetings where there is ample opportunity to ask questions and express opinions.

Agenda | Minutes

10 September 2015

Agenda : Minutes

The meeting was mainly concerned with two matters. The first that we need to redouble our efforts at finding two new councillors, with only three out of five we need everyone to attend to be quorate. If you, or someone you know, is interested then please contact us. The second issue discussed was the outcome of negotiations with CERN, owners of Babraham Farms, regarding the Black Barn and the playground site behind the George. CERN have told us that they would only consider selling the freehold of the barn and are not prepared to lease it to us. The combined cost of the freehold and the remedial works is way beyond the budget available and so the Black Barn project is regretfully closed. Better news on the land behind the George that we would like to put a playground on. CERN and the PC are to negotiate a long lease for the use of the land.

Continue reading

14 May 2015

Agenda : Minutes

This brief meeting was the Annual Parish Council Meeting at which the Chairman and Vice-Chairman are elected for the coming year. Before that could take place the Council co-opted Stuart Laurie as a councillor. The council now has 5 members again.

Lydia Macpherson was again elected as Chairman, with Denise Dear being Vice-Chairman. Stuart Laurie is to be the BPC representative on the Village Hall Committee. Other representative positions will be filled on an as required basis through the year.

Continue reading

16 April 2015

Agenda : Minutes

The 9 April Meeting was postponed to the 16th.
The meeting heard that the 4 people who stood for election to the PC have been returned. This leaves one vacancy, a position that can be filled by co-option following the 7 May election. The elected councillors are, Lydia McPherson, Ian Kime, Denise Dear and Charlotte Rogers.
Annual accounts for the PC were presented and approved and will now be sent for audit.
A report of the latest meeting of the Village Hall Committee was presented and discussed.

Continue reading

8 January 2015

Agenda : Minutes

SummaryThe PC meets in January each year to set out forthcoming spending plans and to set the precept. The amount we are asking you for in 2015-2016 is fractionally higher, details will be sent from SCDC in the coming weeks. The council was shown details of a new building for the campus, a development that already has outline planning consent. The building is being developed with Imperial College London. The application will be formally submitted this month, the council has decided in principle to approve the application.

Continue reading

13 November 2014

Agenda : Minutes

The meeting considered a revised planning application for the Solar Farm on the eastern edge of Sawston. A greatly reduced scheme has been proposed following the rejection of the initial proposal. The PC confirmed its objections. The matter is to be considered by SCDC planners in early December. The Research Campus Master Plan application has been passed to the minister for a final decision.

Continue reading

1 Oct 2014

Agenda : Minutes

The meeting heard that the Solar Farm application has been rejected by SCDC. The PC and the Research Campus are to work on a scheme for a series of information boards together with a nice bench for the footpath side of the river opposite the sculpture series. BRC are looking at commissioning two new sculptures from Lucy Unwin. We also learned that BT have made the Sawston exchange fibre broadband available to other providers.

Continue reading

11 September 2014

Agenda : Minutes


Following a busy summer of activity the council met again in September. The meeting learned that Sawston Parish Council have voted to object to the proposed Solar Farm. SCDC will decide the outcome of the application in coming weeks. As is common in many parts of the country applications for solar farms are being submitted ahead of cuts to government funding next year. SCDC are also considering an application in Thriplow for a similar solar farm.

The Local Plan, that proposes major housing developments on our side of Sawston, is about to be reviewed by an Inspector. We have learned that this process will begin in late October. The PC will be represented where possible to press our objections.

Throughout the summer the PC has been attempting to gain some funding for measures to manage and lessen the impact of additional traffic through the village that will result from the proposed Football stadium in east Sawston and its associated car boot sales. Since the meeting we have learned that SCDC planners and the county highways department have chosen to disregard our fears and it seems we will be left to our own devices. It is now up to the Secretary of State to finally decide on the application. The PC is not allowed to make representations to the Secretary of State.

Whilst our super fast broadband is becoming reliable, we as yet do not have any dates on which providers other than BT will be able to offer a service. It should be soon but we don’t know when. It still remains that parts of the parish can not receive the improved service – a situation we are chasing.

Babraham Research Campus reports that their latest new building is to completed by the end of September and that there will be an opportunity to attend the opening. Following on from that the next building phase will begin in January next year. They are also considering a redevelopment of the conference centre area of the campus. Plans will include similar, but improved, facilities that will be made available for the benefit of our community.

Detailed discussions are being held concerning the next phase of the riverside public art project. Two further sculptures are being considered and on the opposite bank, the footpath side, plans for seating and information boards are progressing.

The meeting learned that the cycleway along side the A1307 from Cambridge is waiting for BT to relocate their telegraph poles before it can be finally completed. The path is being used both by pedestrians and cyclists already, it seems likely that, like the Sawston cycleway, use will exceed expectation. The next phase is well underway, in the sense that it is being discussed in earnest by all parties. A linking cycleway from the Campus roundabout through to the village will have to be built on campus land and will affect their security. Negotiations and plans are near completion and once it is built all local cycleways will join up.


Continue reading

10 July 2014

Agenda : Minutes

This months meeting was primarily concerned with the major planning applications that will effect the village. In the first instance we were informed that the planning application for the Solar Farm has just been submitted. The council’s view on this is to oppose it on the grounds that it is in the green belt even though we appreciate the efforts to provide energy from renewable sources. The application is likely to be considered by SCDC during the summer.

We also understand that the planning application for the next phase of development at Babraham Research Campus is to be submitted in the week beginning 14 July. Again the council is objecting on the principle of wanting to preserve our green belt protection. Whilst we continue to support the research campus we believe that we cannot allow exceptions or special cases as inevitably they will mount up to a significant erosion of the protection the green belt affords us.

Following the recent granting of the application for the football stadium on the edge of Sawston nearest us the PC is in negotiation with SCDC and the developers architects to see what can be done to lessen the inevitable increase in traffic this development will cause. It is not just the odd football match that will increase traffic flows it is also the use of the venue for conferences, weddings, parties and a weekly Sunday morning car boot sale. The council has agreed to keep fighting this application and whilst we are unlikely to be able to win the argument for a rescinding of the approval we hope to be able to at least gain some measures to restrict the amount of traffic using the village as a route to the venue. These negotiations are continuing.

On a more promising development the council reports that the riverside public art has been generally well received. The research campus is to put in place the improvements to the riverside path they promised, benches and information boards etc. and is actively considering commissioning some additional sculptures by the same artist, Lucy Unwin.

Councillor Mike Read tendered his resignation as he is sadly moving out of the village. This of course means there will be a vacancy on the council. If anyone is interested in the business of village life and has a little time to give then please contact us for more information. The council only has five members, the work involved is light and both very interesting and useful.

Continue reading

12 June 2014

Agenda : Minutes

The main items discussed were the approval of the planning application for the football stadium. The PC is to attend a meeting with SCDC planners and Sawston PC to see what measures can be taken to mitigate the effects of the anticipated extra traffic. This meeting will be in June. The plan as submitted includes a financial contribution to highways improvements in Sawston but not in Babraham or for the Pampisford Whych.

The Solar Farm application is to be opposed by the council on the grounds of the land being in the Green Belt and would increase the likelihood of Sawston and Babraham merging eventually. There are concerns about the state of the land when the farm comes to the end of its life in 25 years, and the removal of such a large area of open countryside and its effects on wildlife. The council also took the view that it would be an eyesore and the planned screening by trees would be inadequate for many years.

Continue reading