Babraham Parish Council
Training Statement of Intent
Please note the authorised, approved version is the PDF document approved at Council.
|Signed (Chair)||Signed (Clerk)||Minute Reference|
|Reviewed||November 2018||Not reviewed|
Babraham Parish Council recognises the value of learning.
Babraham Parish Council employs one part-time staff member and has five councillors.
Councillors and staff will be supported to undertake the training and development they need to help them achieve and maintain a high standard of performance and all will be given encouragement and support to achieve their full potential.
The activities specified in this Statement will allow Councillors and staff to provide a proper level of service to the residents of Babraham.
To support development, funds are allocated to a training budget each year to enable staff and councillors to attend training and conferences relevant to their office. The budget for training and books is £800 at November 2019.
Members and staff can expect the following approved training to be sponsored:
- The course fee
- Examination fees
- Associated membership fees
- Travel costs
Staff can expect the following support:
- Clear and measurable objectives for their performance at work
- An annual review of their performance, role and training needs
- A Chairman and Council who are committed to staff development
- Paid release from work commitments in order to undertake training and study
- Training and certification in accordance with all legal and statutory requirements according to their role.
Councillors can expect the following support:
- New Councillors will be encouraged to undertake the three part ‘Councillor training’ provided by CAPALC
- A new Chairman will be encouraged to undertake the three part ‘Chairman training’ provided by CAPALC
- Specialist training according to need and role in the Council will be reviewed annually
- If the whole Council requires training on a particular subject the Clerk will source the appropriate provision.
New councillors will be provided with an information pack containing the electronic documents set out below:
- The Good Councillors’ Guide
- The Good Councillors’ Guide to Finance and Transparency
- Being a Good Employer
- Members’ contact details
- Training Statement of Intent
- Meetings Timetable link to website
- Members’ Code of Conduct
- Standing Orders
- Financial Regulations
- Previous Minutes of the Parish Council.
Main Providers of training and support are:
- Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Association of Local Councils (CAPALC)
- Society of Local Council Clerks (SLCC)
- National Association of Local Councils (NALC)
- South Cambridgeshire District Council (SCDC)
- Cambridgeshire Action with Communities in Rural England (Cambridgeshire ACRE)
Keeping the Council Up-to-Date
The Council is supported by Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Association of Local Councils (CAPALC). Specific training on legislative changes is provided by South Cambridgeshire District Council. The Clerk is a member of the Society of Local Council Clerks to enable staff and councillors to take advantage of training courses and conferences.
At June 2020, the Clerk is assessing training to achieve the Certificate in Local Council Administration. The websites of the CAPALC, SLCC and NALC are used for advice and information.